As our clients needs have grown in scale and complexity we have invested in a fixed wing drone with PPK capability. This enables us to undertake much larger surveys with greater efficiency than with a multirotor drone, it also means that we do not have to place ground control points to deliver a very accurate survey. This is particularly important in situations where access to the survey area is restricted or to reduce the overhead of placing ground control points (GCPs).
When it came to select a fixed wing platform we had a number of key requirements:
- Accuracy, it had to be able to deliver high quality results using PPK or RTK alone.
- Flight time, we needed around 40mins.
- Robustness, fixed wing drones typically have a “tougher life” than multirotors.
- Real local support, we wanted to work with a company with real expertise in the UK.
- Capability to operate with smaller take off and landing area.
- Cost, its always a factor!
We looked at a range of fixed wings some VTOL, some RTK, some really expensive! In the end it was the QuestUAV DataHawk PPK that met our needs and we found them exceptionally helpful.
For more information on the DataHawk PPK visit QuestUAV’s website.